|Criteria 1 " A structured curriculum" needs to be......||Where the Diabetes Manual meets the criteria|
|1)Person centred, incorporating individual needs assessment||
• Initiated according to individual assessment.|
• Patient prioritises sequences of activity
|2)Reliable, valid and comprehensive||
• Evidence and policy based.|
• Stakeholder input to development
|3)Theory driven||• Self-efficacy and experiential learning theory|
|4)Flexible and available to diverse groups||
• Self-managed by individual, 1 hour per day including exercise regimen, limited contact time with nurse negotiated.|
• Reading age of 12 years.
• Culturally sensitive, e.g. Vignettes, cartoons, nutrition.
|5)Use different teaching medium||• Text, pictures, personal reflection and evaluation, audiotape, one to one contact with nurse|
• 45 mins additional nurse contact time.|
• No economic evaluation of DM. HM currently costs €20–32 per person treated to purchase incl training and tapes.
|7)Written down||• 230 page workbook|
|Criteria 2 "Trained educators" need to.......||Where the DM training meets the criteria|
|1)Understand education theory as relevant to particular learners||
• Taught principles of self-efficacy theory and experiential learning related to individual patient learning needs.|
• Role play experiences teaching by theses methods.
|2)Be trained and competent in the delivery of the education theory||• Role play and rehearsal of face to face and telephone consultation using empowering and efficacy enhancing communications|
|3)Be trained and competent in the delivery of the principles and content of the specific programme they are offering||
• Diabetes Manual workbook is evidence based.|
• Material used as a reference source for nurse if required.
• Skill development in working through the stages